Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Verbs and Prepositions 2
Grammar - information and contents
This exercise practises uses of verbs which can be followed by different prepositions, each time with a different meaning. This exercise looks at the verbs talk and look. Each verb is used five times. Choose from the prepositions listed below and put the verb in the correct form.
about, after, at, down on, into, of, out for, out of, to, up to
1. Look, I don't want to ____________________ it. The matter is finished and I just want to get in with my life.
2. OK, then. I'll meet you at the check-in desk at the airport. Don't forget to ____________________ me, because there'll be a lot of people.
3. My son really ____________________ you. He thinks you're a great player and he wants to be just like you when he grows up.
4. ____________________ the devil! Here comes John now. Let's ask him how he did in the exam.
5. Why don't you want to ____________________ me? I always thought that if either of us had a problem, we'd discuss it together.
6. Apparently, some computer equipment was taken from the office while everyone was out at lunch. The police are ____________________ the matter.
7. You always ____________________ me as if I'm stupid and have nothing worthwhile to say back to you.
8. I was wondering if you'd like to ____________________ my flat while I'm away on holiday.
9. I don't smoke at home because my parents really ____________________ it and would be very angry if I smoked.
10. My son says he wants to leave school before he does his exams and travel around the world. I've tried to _________ him ___________ it, but he refuses to listen.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2012