Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Slang Verbs 1
Grammar - information and contents
This exercise practises verbs which are formed from nouns and whose meaning is extremely colloquial or slang, though they are not rude. Choose the correct verb to put in the gap. Remember to put them in the correct form.
bomb, bottle, chicken, chill, grass, ice, leg, pull, score, space, total
1. My brother ____________________ his car yesterday. Luckily he wasn't hurt in the accident, but he'll need a new car.
2. I was on my way home last night when two guys tried to mug me. Just then, the police showed up and they ____________________ it. The police didn't catch them.
3. I challenged Alan to a race to see who was the fastest in the school, but he ____________________ out because he know that I'd win.
4. I went to a disco last night and managed to ____________________ this really nice girl. I had a great time with her.
5. "Space Pirates" got really bad reviews and ____________________ at the cinemas. It was the worst film of the year.
6. The police told Roberts that he'd get twenty years in prison, so he ____________________ on the other gang members for a lower sentence.
7. When I was in the Amazon jungle, I lived with a tribe for three months. The whole experience was very strange and mysterious. I was really ____________________ out by the end.
8. It's a lovely day and I've got nothing much to do so I think I'll just ____________________ out in the garden for a few hours.
9. After the Mafia found out that Elliot had stolen their money, they went looking for him and ____________________ him. The police found his body at the bottom of the river.
10. "Did you ____________________ at the party last night?"
"No. There were some nice women there, but I was out of luck."
11. Jim was going to get married yesterday, but he ____________________ it at the last minute and didn't turn up at the wedding. I think he did it because he's afraid of commitment.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2012