Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Middle Verbs 2
Grammar - information and contents
There are many verbs in English
which can be used in the active, middle or passive (see the teacher's page).
Look at these verbs and put them in the correct sentences in the correct form.
Then state whether they are active, middle or passive by putting a, m
or p after the sentence.
break, close, develop, end,
1. When the film ________________
everyone was crying.
2. He ________________ the door
quietly and walked off down the street.
3. After the election, the new
government promised they would provide millions of dollars to ________________
4. I don't really like this sofa.
It ________________ too much and I prefer something firmer.
5. His leg ________________ in two place as a result of the accident.
6. At first the demonstration was
peaceful but then fighting started and ________________ into running battles
with the police.
7. This ring ________________ to
me by my mother and to her by her mother.
8. All the shops in this town
________________ at 1.00 on Wednesdays.
9. Johnson has ________________
the world 100 metre record for the second time this year.
10. She decided to ________________
her marriage after she found out about her husband's affair.
11. When she poured the hot water
into the glass it suddenly ________________.
12. The new study plan ________________
by the teachers and the students together.
13. The game ________________
early by the referee when it started snowing.
14. I ________________ my son a
new computer for his birthday last week.
15. This gate must
________________ after use to keep animals out.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2012