Subscribe to this site and get all the free worksheets, and many more, as pdfs and online gapfill exercises, as well as the two books, The Latin Heart of English Volume 1 and The Liondale English Language Series Volume 1 (pdf downloads), for only £10! Click here: Subscribe to site
Indefinite article 1
Grammar - information and contents
This exercise explores the presence or absence of the indefinite article in a sentence. Read the sentences and decide if there should be an article or not. In each space write "a"
for the article or "0" (zero) for no article.
There were ____ few people at the meeting so we decided to postpone it until next week.
2. Thank you very much. You've been ____ great help to me.
3. After the speaker sat down there was ____ silence which seemed to last for ages, but was actually just ____ few minutes.
4. The two years I spent in Greece was ____ time that I shall never forget as long as I live. It was wonderful.
5. Despite the weeks that the theatre company spent rehearsing the play, on the first night the production was ____ complete shambles. I've never seen anything so bad.
6. What ____ lovely weather! I certainly hope that it will continue for ____ few days.
7. It is generally accepted that the best form of advertising is ____ word of mouth.
8. I don't need to go to the bank today. I've got ____ little money to get by on till Monday.
9. Unfortunately he had already made his decision not to come and there was ____ little that I could say to change his mind.
10. I didn't want to take this job. I'm only doing it out of ____ need because I haven't got any other way of making money.
© Marc Loewenthal, eflworksheets.com, 2000-2012